Filled with fibre, deliciously sticky and guaranteed to keep you full for hours, we’ve shared our favourite energy bar recipe below. These date and oat bars are made with our No.4 Seeds and Grains Porridge oats and are the perfect breakfast on the go or snack when you need an energy boost.
- 400g Freestone’s No.4 Seeds and Grains porridge oats
- 20 medjool dates (approximately 400g)
- 300ml of water
- 200g of raisins
- 100g of sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons of chia seeds with 16 tablespoons of water
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- Pre-heating the oven to 200C
- Combine the chia seeds and water in a mug. Let this mix sit (for about ten minutes) until a gel forms.
- While the chia gel forms, pit the dates and place them in a saucepan with the coconut oil. Allow the dates and coconut oil to melt for about five minutes – until the dates are nice and soft.
- Next, place the dates and coconut oil into a blender with the water and blend until a smooth paste forms.
- Add your No.4 Seeds and Grains oats, sunflower seeds, raisins and cinnamon to a mixing bowl and stir in the date mix. Then once the chia gel has formed stir this into the mix too.
- Line a baking tray (about 6×9 inches) with baking paper, or grease it with coconut oil. Then pour the mix into it the baking tray and spread it evenly across.
- Place the tray in the oven for about 35 minutes, until the top turns golden (cook for less time if you want them stickier). Leave it to cool for about 15 minutes, before cutting it into bars (don’t skip this stage, it’s important to ensure they set).
- For the date and oat energy bars you don’t gobble down straight away, store in an airtight container for up to a week!